Olympus PEN E-PL3 Impression
December 17, 2013
The Olympus PEN E-PL3 or the PEN Lite 3 is my second pen camera. I bought it as an upgrade to my aging E-PL1 which in my opinion still is a great camera in it’s class. Main reason for the upgrade is the higher iso, faster af system and overall faster response time. The E-PL3 features, a new 12.3-megapixel Live MOS Image Sensor, TruePic VI Image Processor, an ISO range of up to 12,800, a new autofocus system, full 1080i HD video with Dolby Digital sound, and the 5 fps continuous shooting.
When I first open the box my first impression was, wow, it is really small, but as soon as I held it, it is not light at all, almost as heavy as my E-Pl1 and the plastic body feels really solid, feels like a metal to me. I like it especially after I attached the Flipbac FBG4 Camera Grip that I bought separately. It really made a difference when holding the camera.
When it comes to performance, it’s really snappy, af is fast and it leaves up to expectations, and the 5 fps continuous shooting is great to have especially when you’re a DSLR user.
My current Pen System above:
- Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f1.8 (Black) Lens for Olympus and Panasonic Micro 4/3 Cameras
- Panasonic Lumix 14mm f/2.5 G Aspherical Lens for Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Cameras
- Panasonic Lumix G H-H020AK 20mm F/1.7 II ASPH Lens for Panasonic/Olympus Micro Four Thirds Cameras (Black)
- Olympus M. 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R Zoom Lens (Black) for Olympus and Panasonic Micro 4/3 Cameras
- Olympus PEN E-PL3 14-42mm 12.3 MP Interchangeable Lens Camera with CMOS Sensor and 3x Optical Zoom (Black)
- OLYMPUS 262855 12.3 Megapixel E-PL1 Pen Camera (Black camera body)
Here are a few photos I shot using my E-PL3 and various lenses:
- Please recheck your ID(s).
- If you are showing a private album, check that the "Retrieve Photos From" option is set to "User's Private Album" and that the Authorization Key is correct.