Lately I’ve been using the built-in pop-up flash in my camera, primarily as a fill in flash, now I need a diffuser, but I can’t convince myself to buy those $20 pop-up flash diffuser available in the market, so I went to the kitchen to try to find if there’s something there that I can use. Here’s the first one that I found, a dominos pizza cup, must have been better if I can find a plain white plastic cup.
Here are some photos of the diffuser attached to my camera and some of the test shots I did:
[flickrset id="72157623555465547" thumbnail="square" overlay="true" size="medium"]
I find that a cup like this can be a great help, it’s no Gary Fong brand, but in tight situation, it can surely get the job done.
If you take a close look at the three test I did, all those photos with the diffuser on the camera has lesser harsh shadows and has a softer effect.
There are available diffusers in the market for the built-in SLR Pop-Up flash available in Amazon, prices can range from $9.99 to $40.00, but like what I said earlier, I can’t convince myself yet to get one. I’m surely getting a diffuser when I get a Canon 580EX II. For now, there’s always lots of stuff in the kitchen.
Equipment’s I used with the test:
My Gear :
Lightbox – a white square plastic container I found in the laundry room
Canon Rebel XS with EF-S 18-55mm IS kit Lens
Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod Legs
Vanguard SBH-300 Large-Format Magnesium Alloy Ballhead
Dominos White Cup for the Diffuser
Test subjects :
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens
KungFu Panda Toy
Diecast Model Monster Truck
All test were done with the Canon XS mounted on the tripod. Focal range on all shots are the same.
Below are some of the pop-up flash diffusers compatible with most SLRs:
Gary Fong Puffer Pop Up Flash Diffuser
If you find this small tip helpful you might also be interested in my new DIY External Flash Diffuser design after the famous Demb Diffuser Pro. Please click here to read all about my DIY – Demb Diffuser or Homemade Demb Diffuser Using Kitchen Items.
You can also share your homemade DIY photography accessories, just post in the comment portion below.
- Canon EF-S 10-22mm Ultra-Wide USM Lens Mini Review
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Review
- Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II VC Review
- Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC Review Update
- Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 Mini Review
- Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Review
- Canon EF 70-200mm F/4 L IS USM
- Canon EF 70-210mm F4 Macro Review
- Canon EF 70-210mm F4 Macro Review Update
- Canon EF 70-210mm F/4 Low Light
- Canon EF 400mm F/5.6 L USM Lens Review
- Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II Prime Lens Review
- Tamron AF 60mm f/2.0 SP Macro Lens Review
- Canon EF 85mm F/1.8 USM Prime Lens Review
- Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP Macro Lens
- Raynox DCR-250 Macro Lens Adapter Review
- Pro Optic Budget Auto Extention Tube Set
- It Was Better than Last Time – My Favorite shots from my recent baseball game
- Favorite Shots from the March 4, 2013 Varsity Softball Game
- Favorite Shots from the March 4, 2013 Junior’s Softball Game
- First Baseball Match
- First Softball Match I Shot- Feb 27, 2013
- Finalizing My Sites Backend and Optimization With Amazon Web Services (Cloudfront)
- Sigma DN Lens Bundle w/Sigma 19mm EX & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN Lens
- Some Photos from the Wrestling Tounament I Covered last Saturday