Yeap, only $5.00. That’s assuming you have all the materials needed, like the box, the garbage bag, poster boards etc. I was looking for some cheap chinese made light tents on ebay but they still cost around $30 a set, so I said to myself, why not make one, and here’s what I came up.
List of Materials:
- Box -18 x 16 x 18. The size depends on what you’ll need it for and with what you have.
- Tracing paper or White Garbage bag. I didn’t have a tracing paper so I tried a Glad WHite Garbage bag. Diffuses great.
- Poster boards, I got a 5 pack assorted color from Walmart for $2.57 and a separate black poster board only .54 . This is the only thing that I bought for the project.
- Transparent or white packaging tape.
It’s pretty straight forward. I cut a piece on all four sides of the box to make a window using a sharp folding utility knife. I allotted a 1.5 inch space from the edges of the box to the center. After cutting, I split the white garbage bag on the two edges and wrap them around the three window opening of the my light box. And that’s it. An instant light box. Use the poster boards as backgrounds to your subject, depending on what you need. You can position your light on the windows depending on how you need to position the light.
This little light tent is perfect photographing little objects, if you sell on ebay, it’s perfect for product photography. Great for experimenting with Macro Photography. That’s why they call it Macro Studio. There are endless of possibilities with this simple but useful light box.
For the Coke Zero photos above. I placed the uncovered window portion of the box on top so that I can place the only light source over the top of the window opening. I used a black poster board for the background.
Lighting Info : Single Speedlight on open top at 1/32 power
This lightbox is a variation of David Hobby’s (AKA The Strobist) $10 Macro Studio. Thanks to David Hobby.
- Canon EF-S 10-22mm Ultra-Wide USM Lens Mini Review
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Review
- Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II VC Review
- Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC Review Update
- Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 Mini Review
- Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Review
- Canon EF 70-200mm F/4 L IS USM
- Canon EF 70-210mm F4 Macro Review
- Canon EF 70-210mm F4 Macro Review Update
- Canon EF 70-210mm F/4 Low Light
- Canon EF 400mm F/5.6 L USM Lens Review
- Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II Prime Lens Review
- Tamron AF 60mm f/2.0 SP Macro Lens Review
- Canon EF 85mm F/1.8 USM Prime Lens Review
- Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP Macro Lens
- Raynox DCR-250 Macro Lens Adapter Review
- Pro Optic Budget Auto Extention Tube Set
- It Was Better than Last Time – My Favorite shots from my recent baseball game
- Favorite Shots from the March 4, 2013 Varsity Softball Game
- Favorite Shots from the March 4, 2013 Junior’s Softball Game
- First Baseball Match
- First Softball Match I Shot- Feb 27, 2013
- Finalizing My Sites Backend and Optimization With Amazon Web Services (Cloudfront)
- Sigma DN Lens Bundle w/Sigma 19mm EX & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN Lens
- Some Photos from the Wrestling Tounament I Covered last Saturday