Yes, it’s true. If you are serious about macro insect photography there are times that you will need a lot of patience and a lot of practice with your gear. Because insects / bugs move quite a lot, you will have a hard time getting them in focus, unless your insect subject stay still until you are done. In photographing insects here’s what I do:
- Practice a lot with my gear.
- I bring some snack and water.(^_^)
- Find the right spot.
- Wait patiently.
- Bring a tripod or a monopod
- I prefer longer focal length. This will give you enough distance so as not to disturb the insect.
- Increase the ISO to at least 400, depending on your situation. But I don’t go above ISO 400 to minimize noise on my photos
- Use Flash, Off camera if possible.
- I usually shoot in Manual mode, sometimes in shutter priority.
- Aperture, I use between F/4 to F/11 depending on how shallow you want the Depth of Field is.
Gear and Equipment:
- Canon Rebel XS
- Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
- Pro Optic Budget Auto Extension Tube
- Manfrotto 680B Monopod
- Vanguard SBH-300 Ballhead
I hope you found this little tip helpful. If you have a macro tip, I would be happy to hear them. Feel free to leave a comment below.
- Canon EF-S 10-22mm Ultra-Wide USM Lens Mini Review
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Review
- Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II VC Review
- Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC Review Update
- Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 Mini Review
- Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Review
- Canon EF 70-200mm F/4 L IS USM
- Canon EF 70-210mm F4 Macro Review
- Canon EF 70-210mm F4 Macro Review Update
- Canon EF 70-210mm F/4 Low Light
- Canon EF 400mm F/5.6 L USM Lens Review
- Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II Prime Lens Review
- Tamron AF 60mm f/2.0 SP Macro Lens Review
- Canon EF 85mm F/1.8 USM Prime Lens Review
- Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP Macro Lens
- Raynox DCR-250 Macro Lens Adapter Review
- Pro Optic Budget Auto Extention Tube Set
- It Was Better than Last Time – My Favorite shots from my recent baseball game
- Favorite Shots from the March 4, 2013 Varsity Softball Game
- Favorite Shots from the March 4, 2013 Junior’s Softball Game
- First Baseball Match
- First Softball Match I Shot- Feb 27, 2013
- Finalizing My Sites Backend and Optimization With Amazon Web Services (Cloudfront)
- Sigma DN Lens Bundle w/Sigma 19mm EX & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN Lens
- Some Photos from the Wrestling Tounament I Covered last Saturday