Since Halloween is just 10 days away, I thought of posting a few Tips on Photographing Halloween Moments. Halloween is one of those holiday occasions where everyone loves to dress up and celebrate and is surely a great time to take your camera with to capture those amazing moments, scary decorations, funny costumes and a lot of other interesting subjects.
Here we go:
Find Something Scary - It’s Halloween, it won’t be hard to find one..
Look for something funny.
Get some Close ups.
Shoot in Low Light Without A Flash to have a creepy feeling to your photograph.
Also don’t hesitate to use your flash when needed. While it is recommended to minimize the use of flash to truly capture the mood of these situations, you can still use it when you need to improve the quality of light in order to get a descent shot, like the photo below.
Don’t Forget to Tell a Story.
Lenses with an Aperture of 2.8 is recommended for low light shooting, in this case the Canon’s Nifty 50 (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens) is awesome. Zoom Lenses in the 17-50mm range for crop sensor camera’s like theTamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 SP XR Di II VC (Vibration Compensation) Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
or Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens for Canon DSLR Cameras are perfect in these kinds of situations. Wide Zoom lenses like these will give you versatility, and will allow you to take group and portrait shots.
Also for versatility, lenses in the 24-70mm F/2.8 for full frame sensors are excellent in these type of situations.
I hope these tips can help you enjoy capturing your Halloween Memories, just remember, don’t be afraid to experiment, one old trick I always do is to BLH (Bracket Like Hell), set your camera to shoot in multiple exposure, like shooting in hdr, this will increase the number of good photos you can keep, don’t forget to bring your external flash, don’t be afraid to use it, if you use a flash, it’s also a good idea to bring a red or orange flash gel or you can cut a orange plastic folder or get one out of a cellophane if you don’t have flash gels. Practice before hand and make this Halloween an enjoyable and memorable one.
[flickrset id="72157625214079656" thumbnail="square" overlay="true" size="medium"]
- Canon EF-S 10-22mm Ultra-Wide USM Lens Mini Review
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Review
- Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II VC Review
- Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC Review Update
- Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 Mini Review
- Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Review
- Canon EF 70-200mm F/4 L IS USM
- Canon EF 70-210mm F4 Macro Review
- Canon EF 70-210mm F4 Macro Review Update
- Canon EF 70-210mm F/4 Low Light
- Canon EF 400mm F/5.6 L USM Lens Review
- Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II Prime Lens Review
- Tamron AF 60mm f/2.0 SP Macro Lens Review
- Canon EF 85mm F/1.8 USM Prime Lens Review
- Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP Macro Lens
- Raynox DCR-250 Macro Lens Adapter Review
- Pro Optic Budget Auto Extention Tube Set
- It Was Better than Last Time – My Favorite shots from my recent baseball game
- Favorite Shots from the March 4, 2013 Varsity Softball Game
- Favorite Shots from the March 4, 2013 Junior’s Softball Game
- First Baseball Match
- First Softball Match I Shot- Feb 27, 2013
- Finalizing My Sites Backend and Optimization With Amazon Web Services (Cloudfront)
- Sigma DN Lens Bundle w/Sigma 19mm EX & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN Lens
- Some Photos from the Wrestling Tounament I Covered last Saturday