To Users of the EF200mm f/2L IS USM and EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM Lenses with the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera.
Thank you for using Canon products.
We have confirmed that when the EF200mm f/2L IS USM and some units of the EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM lenses are used with the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera, the Lenses may emit an abnormal noise.
The Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera does not need to be repaired as a result of this phenomenon.
The support measures for this phenomenon have been decided and they are as described below.
If either of the Lenses is attached to the camera with the Image Stabilizer switch on the Lenses set to ON, the Image Stabilizer will synchronize with the autofocusing (AF) function and an abnormal noise may occur. This abnormal noise does not affect captured images.
This phenomenon only occurs when the camera is used with either of the Lenses, and does not occur when the camera is used with other lenses.
EF200mm f/2L IS USM Lens
EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM Lens
*This phenomenon does not occur with cameras other than the EOS 5D Mark III.
*If the fifth and sixth digit of the six-digit alphanumeric number that is imprinted on the lens mount of the above EF lenses is of any of the following numbers, the lens is affected.
EF200mm f/2L IS USM： If the fifth and sixth digit is 00, 01, or 02.
EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM：If the fifth and sixth digit is 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, or 06.
How to Identify Affected Products:
Please check the six-digit alphanumeric number as indicated in the image below.
The Canon Lenses affected by this phenomenon will be inspected and repaired free of charge starting from May 21, 2012. If you own one of the affected lenses, please contact our Customer Support Center.
This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.
Customer Support Operations
Canon U.S.A., Inc
|Contact Information for Inquiries|
|Canon Customer Support Center|
|For additional support options: www.usa.canon.com/support|
- Canon EF-S 10-22mm Ultra-Wide USM Lens Mini Review
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Review
- Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II VC Review
- Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC Review Update
- Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 Mini Review
- Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Review
- Canon EF 70-200mm F/4 L IS USM
- Canon EF 70-210mm F4 Macro Review
- Canon EF 70-210mm F4 Macro Review Update
- Canon EF 70-210mm F/4 Low Light
- Canon EF 400mm F/5.6 L USM Lens Review
- Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II Prime Lens Review
- Tamron AF 60mm f/2.0 SP Macro Lens Review
- Canon EF 85mm F/1.8 USM Prime Lens Review
- Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP Macro Lens
- Raynox DCR-250 Macro Lens Adapter Review
- Pro Optic Budget Auto Extention Tube Set
- It Was Better than Last Time – My Favorite shots from my recent baseball game
- Favorite Shots from the March 4, 2013 Varsity Softball Game
- Favorite Shots from the March 4, 2013 Junior’s Softball Game
- First Baseball Match
- First Softball Match I Shot- Feb 27, 2013
- Finalizing My Sites Backend and Optimization With Amazon Web Services (Cloudfront)
- Sigma DN Lens Bundle w/Sigma 19mm EX & 30mm f/2.8 EX DN Lens
- Some Photos from the Wrestling Tounament I Covered last Saturday