First Softball Match I Shot- Feb 27, 2013
February 27, 2013
Finally, my first softball match. Thank goodness it wasn't cancelled, the boys baseball also scheduled last night was canceled because of the rains. It was a great learning experience for me, I'm glad I was able to shoot the match. I shot with my 70-200mm 2.8 on the 7d and the 400mm 5.6 on the 60d, being a firs timer to shoot softball/baseball, I honestly didn't know what to expect so I brought the big guns, I wanted to get some tight action shots of the players and to experiment with what will work and what will not. I find the 70-200mm adequate enough, the 400 being to slow for night time sports being f/5.6) isn't really good to use in the dark corners of the outfield, if it was daytime it would have been awesome to use. My 28-75mm F/2.8 stayed in my Think Tank Lens Drop Belt Pouch . I shot in the field together with a photographer friend of mine, our box was right behind the first base. In softball/baseball if you want to shoot in the field they will give you this spot to shoot from and you to stay there the rest of the game. For me it was hard, I'm used to moving around a lot, like in football, soccer and basketball, even wrestling. But I guess it's a good thing, it slowed me down a bit and I have to really observed the game and carefully frame my shots. The ball from the photo above almost hit us, landing from our spot just a feet away. I thought that was scary, just imagine being hit by a softball that's really not soft!!!!!
What I've learned?
- Softball although more relaxing and not as tiring as football and soccer to shoot, it's not also easy to photograph.
- I have to learn and know more about the game.
- I have to shoot more to learn more. I have to work on my timing.
- I've learned to take advantage of the light that was available from my shooting position without having to reposition my self for the shot.
- Canon EOS 7D
- Canon EOS 60D
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
- Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Super Telephoto
- Think Tank Lens Drop Belt Pouch for Standard Zoom Lenses, Small Primes and Teleconverters
- Think Tank Skin 50 V2.0 Belt Pouch
- Think Tank Pro Speed Belt V2.0, Padded Medium-Large Size Modulus Accessory Belt – Black
- Dual Camera Harness/Strap
- Please recheck your ID(s).
- If you are showing a private album, check that the "Retrieve Photos From" option is set to "User's Private Album" and that the Authorization Key is correct.